Sunday, December 21, 2008

Apples Apples Apples

My in-laws live in rural Washington and they were kind enough to bring us two huge grocery bags full of apples a few weeks ago. I made applesauce right away and gave some to my folks but struggled to find something new and creative to make with the rest. Finally, this weekend I thought "Forget it, stick with what you know and what everyone likes best."

It's a nice variation on apple pie and I try to make several ahead of time and then freeze just before baking. It can then be pulled straight from the freezer to the oven if you make in an aluminum pie pan or other metal baking pan.

I give you: Apple Crumble Extraordinaire:

Filling
5-6 medium apples, peeled, cored and sliced
2 tbls brown sugar
1 1/2 tbls flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground ginger

Topping
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup butter

Heat oven to 375 degrees. Mix dry filling ingredients in a large bowl. Add apples, mix to coat and then arrange evenly in a pretty pie dish. Mix dry topping ingredients together, then add egg and mix with hands until mixture is combined into crumbly particles. Sprinkle over apple mixture and then pour butter evenly over topping. Bake for 30-35 minutes until topping is lightly browned. Serve with whipped cream or ice cream.

I love the recipe swap every Friday at The Grocery Cart Challenge and know that you will too. Go over and see what everyone is cooking this week! Your family and your tummy will thank you.

No comments:

Gevalia

About Me

My photo
Seattle Area, Washington - the state
I am an attorney, working mom of 3, who loves a bargain, a great deal and freebies. Who doesn't want the best, for less? Come here to see my triumphs and budget tribulations, good deals and my take on what the good life can mean...