Monday, November 24, 2008

Weekend Shoppping

My 2-Week Menu Challenge was a fun way to try and use what we had in our freezer and pantry. I even went another whole week after it, buying only milk and bananas. But with us hosting Thanksgiving this year, I knew we'd have a big trip to make and I really wanted to take advantage of all the good sales at Albertson's and Fred Meyer. Glad I did, too because from this week's ad it looks like some of the prices have gone up. Here's what I got:



Albertson's had the Lipton soup mixes and Green Giant Veggies on sale for $1 each. JollyTime Popcorn was on sale for 3 for $5. I had 2 $1/1 coupons and 2 $1.50/1 coupons for the popcorn, 2 $1/1 for the corn and .75/2 for the soup. Total before coupons: $16.00; total OOP $8.25. BUT will get $10 in Albertson's gift cards as rebate for the popcorn purchase - can't beat that!

Fred Meyer was a different ball game - we needed quite a bit of stuff for Turkey Day, including 2 turkeys. We roast one regularly and deep fry one (check back for lots of turkey recipe ideas for all those leftovers!). I get a large turkey to roast and then a smaller one for frying. FM had a coupon that gave you a certain reduced price on a turkey when you spend a certain amount - so I spent at least $50 and got the second bird for only .59/lb.!

There were only 5 items that I did not have a coupon for: Kroger brand crescent rolls, Kroger brand cheddar cheese, organic milk, bleach and the Butterball turkey.

3 Kroger crescent rolls $1.50 ea
1 Rhodes rolls $3.50
1 Rhodes cinnamon rolls $3.50
2 Fresh Express bagged salad $2.99 ea
4 packets Fleischmann's yeast
4 boxes Quaker instant oatmeal $3.18 ea
1 Pillsbury crescent rolls $2.79
1 can French's Onions $3.00
4 cans Campbell's soup $.66/.67 ea
4 Hillshire Farms Lil Smokies $3.00 ea
1 Everyday Living bleach $1.29
2 Gallons Naturally Preferred organic milk $4.99 ea
1 18.56 lb Butterball Turkey $23.94
1 13.41 lb Private Selection Turkey $7.91

Total before coupons: $123.89.

Used $12.30 in manufacturer coupons, $14.96 in store coupons and $5.00 in Fred Meyer rewards. Got $2 in Catalinas for the yeast - it's still working!

I still have to get green beans since Albertson's was out and I got the corn instead. Overall, not a bad trip, this and the leftovers should keep us comfortable!

1 comment:

SavingSomeGreen said...

Hey Betty! Love your blog so much, I gave you an award. Check it out here http://savingsomegreen.blogspot.com/2008/11/blog-award-woo-hoo.html

-Michelle

Gevalia

About Me

My photo
Seattle Area, Washington - the state
I am an attorney, working mom of 3, who loves a bargain, a great deal and freebies. Who doesn't want the best, for less? Come here to see my triumphs and budget tribulations, good deals and my take on what the good life can mean...