Saturday, January 10, 2009

Fantasy Banana Bread

When life hands you brown bananas, make banana bread! I often ask the produce employees at the grocery store whether they have any "red band" bananas that sell at a reduced per pound price. They can be frozen in zipper bags for later use, just thaw and mash with a fork.

My friend Melissa gave me a version of this recipe. I modified it to include a little more healthy options whole wheat flour and yogurt instead of sour cream. The original had way more sugar than I feel comfortable with and even with the amount in there now, you still get a nice almost carmelized crust on the bread. Perfect and warm for a cold snowy January day or for a delightful winter brunch.


1 1/2 cup Mashed bananas
3/4 cup Sugar
1 cup Butter
1 cup low fat or non-fat yogurt
2 tsp. baking soda
3 cup Flour
2 Eggs
1/2 Cup chopped nuts (optional)

Blend Butter and sugar, add eggs & yogurt, add flour, baking soda & nuts if you want. Lastly, I stir in the mashed bananas.

Fill TWO loaf pans
Bake at 350 for about an hour

The Grocery Cart Challenge hosts a fantastic recipe swap every week. Lots of great recipes and ideas to help with menu planning!

No comments:

Gevalia

About Me

My photo
Seattle Area, Washington - the state
I am an attorney, working mom of 3, who loves a bargain, a great deal and freebies. Who doesn't want the best, for less? Come here to see my triumphs and budget tribulations, good deals and my take on what the good life can mean...